Teen Found Guilty of Manslaughter in Cheektowaga Town Park Shooting | News
BUFFALO, NY-- A Cheektowaga teen was found guilty Tuesday morning of manslaughter in a shooting death at Cheektowaga Town Park.
Erie County Court Judge Michael Pietruszka found Dontre Jones guilty of manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon. Jones was found not guilty of second degree murder in the non-jury case.
Cheektowaga Police say Jones shot and killed Ira Watkins in May of 2011.
Police say two gangs showed up to the park for a water balloon fight that was advertised on Facebook and Watkins wasn't in either of the gangs and was actually trying to break up the fight.
Watkins was a former high school athlete and was working and attending ECC at the time of his murder. Police called him a really good kid. "It's a terrible tragedy. There's no question about it. But when you have this type of gang violence we see it all the time where innocent parties get hurt, injured, and in this case killed," said Cheektowaga Chief of Police David Zack.
Jones will be sentenced on August 26, 2013
Upcoming Events near Cheektowaga
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Daemen Associate Athletic Director Named to 30 Under Thirty