School Consolidation Discussion In Cheektowaga | News
CHEEKTOWAGA, NY - School consolidation has been a hot button issue for years in Cheektowaga, a town that has four school districts, and Monday night, an expert spoke to a packed crowd for nearly 2 hours.
Earlier this school year, the consolidation topic took a major step toward at least being considered when the town board urged the districts to look into combining resources.
Monday night's joint school board meeting between the Cheektowaga Central, Cheektowaga-Sloan, Cleveland Hill and Maryvale Districts was not specifically about the local consolidation proposal, but the topic was discussed.
Guest Speaker Dr. Rick Timbs, the Executive Director of the Statewide School Finance Consortium, spoke for nearly 2 hours about school finances and the pros and cons of consolidation.
The four districts are currently applying for an efficiency grant from New York State that will give them funding to look into consolidation. The application is due in mid-March and they should know by late spring when they can start if approved.
Upcoming Events near Cheektowaga
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The 2014 Social Security Trustees Report: What Does the Future Hold?
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014