School Consolidation Discussion In Cheektowaga | News
CHEEKTOWAGA, NY - School consolidation has been a hot button issue for years in Cheektowaga, a town that has four school districts, and Monday night, an expert spoke to a packed crowd for nearly 2 hours.
Earlier this school year, the consolidation topic took a major step toward at least being considered when the town board urged the districts to look into combining resources.
Monday night's joint school board meeting between the Cheektowaga Central, Cheektowaga-Sloan, Cleveland Hill and Maryvale Districts was not specifically about the local consolidation proposal, but the topic was discussed.
Guest Speaker Dr. Rick Timbs, the Executive Director of the Statewide School Finance Consortium, spoke for nearly 2 hours about school finances and the pros and cons of consolidation.
The four districts are currently applying for an efficiency grant from New York State that will give them funding to look into consolidation. The application is due in mid-March and they should know by late spring when they can start if approved.
Upcoming Events near Cheektowaga
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Daemen Associate Athletic Director Named to 30 Under Thirty
- Free Summer Concert on Terrace 8/20