Local Woman Finally Gets World War II Medals | News
CHEEKTOWAGA N.Y. -- After serving her country in World War 2, Helen Jacob came home to western New York and served her community for the next sixty years. Working on behalf of veterans, especially women, Helen Jacob was tireless.
The Woman's Wellness Center at the Buffalo VA hospital was named in her honor. Today, Congressman Brian Higgins, at the request of Helen's family, presented her with six medals earned for serving in the Army.
2 On Your Side photojournalist Dooley O'Rourke was on hand for the presentation.
Upcoming Events near Cheektowaga
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- April Is Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- Drums Along the Waterfront Announces New Venue; Tickets Now Available
- Amherst Will Study Ending Lifetime Health Benefits for elected officials
- Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Share Programs Return to Farmers & Artisans
- Amherst Votes to Keep Lifetime Healthcare for Some Officials
- IRS Reverses Long-Standing Position on One-Rollover-per-Year Rule
- Astorino Makes First WNY Campaign Trip
- Americans Continue to Face Saving Challenges, Survey Finds
- Saving through Your Retirement Plan at Work? Don't Let These Five Risks Derail Your Progress
- Contract hits water main in Village of Williamsville