Police: Armed Robbery at IHOP in Cheektowaga | News
CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. - Cheektowaga Police responded to an armed robbery call at the IHOP in the Thruway Plaza near Walden Ave around 9:00 Sunday evening.
Cheektowaga Police did not make any arrests, but surrounded the building with a large police presence for several hours.
According to Lt. Gerald Jankowski, two men robbed the restaurant before 9 p.m. One of the men had a gun, and the other had a knife. Lt. Jankowski said the robbers ordered six people inside the restaurant (including employees and customers) to walk into the back office. Lt. Jankowski said the robbers asked the employees to open the safe.
Once the robbers left the office, one of the employees bolted the door connecting to the restaurant, as well as the steel exterior door in the back of the office. Lt. Jankowski said this prevented the robbers from re-entering the office.
According to police, the people inside the office called police for help, and the robbers left the restaurant. When Cheektowaga Police arrived at the I-HOP, Lt. Jankowski said they surrounded the restaurant and kept their weapons aimed at all of the entrances. Police asked the people in the office to open the exterior door and to carefully exit one at a time.
Once the employees and customers left the building, Lt. Jankowski said the SWAT Team entered the building to ensure no one else was inside. The building was empty, and by 12:30a.m. the police detectives were able to enter the restaurant and begin investigating the robbery.
Lt. Jankowski did not believe it would be accurate to describe the incident as a hostage situation.
Police said no one was harmed during the robbery. These are the descriptions of the suspects: one was a black male wearing a grey sweater with a brown & green scarf. The second suspect is also described as a black male who was wearing a dark grey or black hoodie with his hair in braids.
Upcoming Events near Cheektowaga
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Sent to Hospital after Accident on Millersport Highway
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014
- Quiz: How Much Do You Know about Social Security?