Adult, Child Dead in West Seneca House Fire | News
WEST SENECA, NY - A mother and son lost their lives in a house fire Friday morning in West Seneca.
Police were on the scene within minutes of the 911 call to Covington Drive shortly before 8 a.m. and arrived to find the second floor of the home totally engulfed in flames.
A neighbor pulling out of his driveway heard screams and initially thought he might have run someone over when he saw a girl hanging out of a front window with a cat. She dropped the cat and then jumped into the neighbor's arms screaming that her mom and brother were still inside.
Her brother had already made it out by jumping out a side window. The neighbor said he also tried to break through a door and a window but the smoke was just too intense.
West Seneca Police say firefighters found the mother, Nancy Crance, 51, by the front door. Firefighters located her 12-year-old son Austin Crance in an upstairs bedroom. Both died at the scene.
Neighbors say Austin had Down Syndrome.
The two family members who escaped, Hayden Henessy, 20, and Ian Crance, 15, were taken to ECMC. Police officials say the two will be released from the hospital Friday.
Fire investigators are still working to determine the cause of this fire.
Two firefighters from Seneca Hose were also taken to ECMC for minor burns suffered while searching for the victims.
Upcoming Events near Cheektowaga
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Sent to Hospital after Accident on Millersport Highway
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014
- Quiz: How Much Do You Know about Social Security?